A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Name Ideas - Amber's foal

And now, for something a bit different!  Amber, registered AQHA as Crystal Lynx.  This is my test breeding for Scorch, aka Rorschach's Slow Burn.


And the stallion she is bred to, is my Stonewall Sport Horse, Scorch (Rorschach's Slow Burn)
This makes the color of this foal a fun game!  Black, grullo, black champagne (aka classic champagne) grullo champagne, bay, dun, dun champagne, amber champagne, and there's a slim chance of an e/e foal, so chestnut, red dun, red dun champagne, and gold champagne.  The foal has a 50% chance of LP, but it would not have much if any pattern visible at birth.  The suppression factors are high in both parents.

This foal needs a name that includes or plays on Rorschach (or the ink blot test) and possibly the lynx.  Bonus points to names that some how combine the play on spots, ink blot tests, and cat colors.
This foal is due mid April.

Yep, that's 5 babies due within 2 weeks for me.  Of course, mares being like they are, it could be up to 2 months apart, but I'm hoping they get them all done close together (so I can stay sane!).  I do have another mare that I believe to be pregnant, and am treating as if she is, but due to a bit of a mess, I didn't have her tested.  I exposed her to the stallion, she seemed receptive for a day, and then the stallion became aggressive with her.  I removed her, thinking that she had not fully come into heat (it was a pasture breeding with a calm and experienced stallion who just took an odd dislike to her).  Because the time of exposure was seriously limited, and my luck is NOT that good, I assumed that I needed to worry more about her boo boos then her being pregnant.  Well, lets just say that for the last few months, she's been, ahem, rounder then normal.  I have plans to test her soon (tm) but my luck hasn't been so good with the cash flow lately (can you say expensive vet bills for my sick dog?).  When I know for sure, I will announce it, and put her up for name suggestions as well.


8 comments:

  1. Hey, I am have a photo contest over at my blog, the theme is horses. I would love it if you would enter:)
    Neighgirl
    http://whinnyandwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot the Gold Lynx Rorschach.  Gold in keeping with the metals theme of the other horses, could change the 'metal' depending on foal's colour, ie Spot the Copper Lynx Rorschach, Spot the Silver Lynx Rorschach.  Could also swap out "the" for "a".
    Suggestion for a barn name, Rori/Rory.  (would work with other Rorschach names if you don't like this one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So being that an ink blot test is about the perception of the individual I would suggest .A Calico Perception or Spot on perception

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rorschach is [IMO] the most important character in the cartoon series Watchmen. Bulova would be a cool name. Get it? WATCHmen=Bulova. A bit of a stretch, but I love how Bulova sounds...

    ReplyDelete
  5. R's Champagne Toast

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rorschach's Chromatic CatRorschach's NebulaSlow Burning Nebula

    ReplyDelete
  7. that should be "Rorschach's Chromatic Cat" Rorschach's nebula" and Slow burning Nebula
    '

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing Orca RanchDecember 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

    Wow! You're going to have a very busy Spring and Summer...busier than normal!

    Just wanted to say....Merry Christmas from Lisa and the entire herd at the Laughing Orca Ranch!!

    ReplyDelete