A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Name Ideas - Dream's foal

Next, is Dream, KCF Olympic Dream, registered ApHC.  She is also bred to Sugarbush Harley's Classic O.  Dream is the first horse I ever purchased from Sigrid Ricco of Knight Creek Farms, and this will be her first foal.
This foal will be a Stonewall Sport Horse, and my fingers are crossed for a filly.  
And before anyone has a tirade about my breeding a light horse to a draft stallion, let me assure you that I've done the research, as well as done this style of breeding before.  Unlike most animals, the horse's placenta completely wraps around the foal in utero.  This means that the horse can not have a foal that is truly too large for the dam.  Many studies have been done on this, in some cases breeding Shetland mares to draft stallions.  There is no higher incidence of distocia in this type of breeding then in any other.  (Sadly, if I don't post that, someone will go off on it)

And again, she's bred to Sugarbush Harley's Classic O.

This foal will likely be seal bay or chestnut.  Both sire and dam are Ee, but dam could be heterozygous for bay (At/a). As you can tell, color is not exactly the highest thing on my priority list, and I don't really believe in color testing horses that meet all of my other requirements for breeding stock.  (I don't disapprove of it, I just don't see it as a priority).

This foal has a 75% chance of some type of appaloosa coloration, a 25% chance of that being homozygous, and a 25% chance of a true solid.  I figure that means that I'm getting the most adorable seal bay colt, since I want a leopard or fewspot filly.

Names should include either Knight Creek, a reference to that, or a reference to thanks, heirlooms, or such.  I would like this foal's name to be a tribute to my late mentor, and a small thank you to her for giving me the chance to own a mare this nice (not to mention all the help she gave me over the years).  Names that touch on both Sig's farm, as well as my debt to her are even better!  It can be a subtle or a blatant reference though.

Foal is due early-mid April (second week of April or so).

7 comments:

  1. O Danke Sig = O Thank You Sig
    Barn Name Could be Danke for a filly or Sig for a colt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a colt: 
    O What a Knight   or if you're still also wanting to go with the metals theme   Knight of Steel
    For a filly:
    Knight's Maiden    Iron Creek Maiden   Iron Knight's Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a Filly: You could get funny and call her Knight Creeks Chastity Belt! Call her Chastity...
    For a Colt:  Knights Creeks Ricco Suave. and  Call him Ricco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iron Knights Grace , Gracious Knights gift

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mare. Going by looks only, this is my dream horse. I can't wait to see the foal! Love your horses! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Filly - Knight Creeks Debt O Dreams. ( Odette, Night, Demi)
        
    Colt - Signature Knight O Dreams ( Sig, Night) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Significance O' Knight Creek
    Tribute O' Knight Creek
    Treasure O' Knight Creek

    ReplyDelete