A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Name Ideas - Jinx's foal

So, I said I'd be asking for help with baby names.  Well, I have a few mares expecting next year.  I'm listing the mares in the order of their breedings.  First up is Jinx, a foundation SDHR mare, bred to Sugarbush Harley's Classic O.
 Jinx, shown with her first foal "Jinxed Diva"
Jinx, about ready to pop with Soliloquy, her second baby.

And the stallion of her foal, the famous Sugarbush Harley's Classic O

This foal should be black.  There's a slim chance of red (O is Ee, and Jinx has never been tested).  Jinx has had 2 foals for me, both fillies, and while statistically, she should give me a boy this time, she looks and acts just like she always has when pregnant.  Granted, I want hers to be a girl SO BADLY.  If it is, it's a keeper.  We have a 50% chance of Appaloosa coloring, ranging from roan, up to a bit more then O's level of expression (due to Jinx's white enhancers, sabino and splash).

Names for this foal should have some relation to metal (ANY relation to any metal) and can not have the word "Sugarbush" in it (my version of respect to Everett Smith and his exemplary breeding, I don't want to copy his name).  I do not need any relation to the parents names, but don't mind if it works out that way either.

Foal is due in early April.

22 comments:

  1. My first thought as I read was "Jinx Double Jinx"... but then I read on and saw the metal part. Hmmm... back to the drawing board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is a black foal- Black Iron O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUGARBUSH O'PIE GOT JINXED....COLT BARN NAME OPIE
    SUGARBUSH O'PEA GOT JINXED....FILLY BARN SWEETPEA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titanium.  If it is a filly can call her Titi (Ti is the symbol for it).   

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iron Ridge's Malleable

    Metal is malleable and shiny

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the foal has a lot of white... O So Platinum

    ReplyDelete
  7. colt ....SUGARBUSH BARK AT THE MOON......BARN NAME "O"ZZY
    FILLY.....SUGARBUSH "O" GOT PUNKED...BARN NAME "O"LIVIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEY ISNT THE REFERNCE TO HEAVY METAL...LOL....OZZY OSBOURNE.....I AM THINKING SHE MEANT THE REAL METAL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alchemy~The defining objectives of alchemy are varied; these include the creation of the fabled philosopher's stone possessing powers including the capability of turning base metals into the noble metals gold or silver, as well as an elixir of life conferring youth and immortality.

    Since this is what you are trying to do with the breed, (Immortality) and the breed is (Noble), and you are trying to bring it back from possible extinction (elixir of life).  I love the name Alchemy or even to get real fancy Philosopher's Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SilveradO if it is a colt and Silver Pixie Dust for a filly.  ??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, now I like the way YOU think!  Interesting, works within my ideals, and makes me ponder it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, I like how you think!  It's interesting, it's not glaringly obvious, and it makes me think.  I LIKE it!  Many of the other names are nice too, so now to see what I get, and what fits best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yikes! I have a tough enough time with my own .I like the Alchemy thought . And reference to Iron hmmm gotta think more

    ReplyDelete
  14. The philosopher's stone was the central symbol of the mystical terminology of alchemy, symbolizing perfection at its finest, enlightenment, and heavenly bliss. Efforts to discover the philosopher's stone were known as the Magnum Opus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a little bit more information for you. Sorry if I'm giving you to much I just find the symbolism of what you are trying to do, with the breed, and this so in tune with each other.

    The Philosopher's stone is created by the alchemical method known as The
    Magnum Opus or The Great Work. Often expressed as a series of color
    changes or chemical processes, the instructions for creating the
    philosopher's stone are varied. When expressed in colors, the work may
    pass through phases of nigredo, albedo, citrinitas, and rubedo. When expressed as a series of chemical processes it often includes seven or twelve stages concluding in multiplication, and projection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking "High Jinx" (Hy, Hi, etc) til I saw the metal requirement.  How about "High Carbon Jinx"?

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Jinxed by Silver", "Hi O Silver", "Sweetiron O", "O For Gold" "Gold Jinx"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Statistically speaking each and every foal has a 50/50% chance of being either male or female.  Sorry to harass you, but this foal is no more likely to be a boy than any previous or future foal.  Having had two fillies previously does NOT make it "statistically probable she should  give you a boy this time".  You are just as likely to get a filly as you are to get a colt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O My Jinxed Platinum Harley= MJ or JP
    Double Jinxed is a Golden Charm= Charm
    Lead Harley Jinxed= Lee or Leah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I'm of no help either-- I'm going to reserve my few brain cells to come up with my own foal name when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If the foal winds up showing red, you should name it "Pyrite" (fool's gold). ;)  If black, then "Wrought Iron" since it should be a strapping example of horsedom.

    ReplyDelete