A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, January 6, 2012

I can almost feel the progress!

So the other day I asked about stall floors, and I got some brilliant ideas.  Lisa mentioned rail road ties (I'm definately going to be looking into doing that, might be my perfect long term fix actually).  Some one else (oops forgot the name) mentioned digging out the pee spot and filling with gravel for now.

I have Jae out working on the number 9 stall (next to chicken coop for those who know the place) and making that door open again.  In the previous owner's infinite wisdom, they cranked down on the metal before welding, and the stall door latch sits about 3 inches above the hole it locks into.  Only way to close the door is to have TWO people stand on it.  The roof also sagged there - go figure.  Well, roof is level again, and today, the stall door should latch.

Right now, we're in the stage of fixing all the "little" things.  Like making the stall door latch, or leveling out the ground in the soon to be new stallion turn out (previously the hot walker area, with no working hot walker).  I have been catching up on grooming all the horses (trimming tails and manes, oiling hooves and such).

But, A while ago (what, a week or so now?) I got hurt.  Nothing serious at all, just one of those "oops" moments.  Nazar tried to exit through the long pen gate, with Jinx behind her pushing her forward.  She came out too fast and the gate (which is in a corner, ick) pinched her in the middle.  Most horses would panic and bolt forward (thank goodness the gate is flexible, right) and so I braced for that.  Not Nazar.  She has brains, and rather intelligently took one strong (draft like) step backwards to get out of the pinch.

I was braced the wrong way, and she pulled the gate out of my hand, yanking my shoulder back (because I turned sideways to get out of her way, and prepared to step up onto the gate so it wouldn't take me out).  Yep, now I have a pulled muscle on my shoulder.  From behind my ear, down to the shoulder joint, and back to the shoulder blade.  It's not "painful" but it is tight, and just won't relax.  Not bad for a day... but a week later, it's SO annoying.

Scooping grain, yeah, I use that shoulder.  Brushing horses, yep... that's the arm.  Picking feet, well, you guessed it.  But I just don't know WHY it's not healing quickly.  Grr.  At least cleaning stalls I use the other arm as my main!

And now, I'm off to enjoy this AMAZING weather we're having.  Must remember the camera today.  Y'all have got to see how these Sugarbush girls are coming along!

7 comments:

  1. Ouch!! Hope your shoulder is better soon , been there done that .I hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had "kink" injuries before, they were almost always fixed by one visit to the chiropractor. Sometimes things get jammed and refuse to loosen up without manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why it's not healing quickly could be because it is damaged more than you think. If that's not feeling better by the end of the weekend, I strongly suggest you get your buns to a doc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes things take longer to heal that we want them to or expect them to.  One thing you can try, depending on if you're on any scripts for anything else already, is Valerian.  It's OTC and available most anywhere (but not Walmart- don't know why).  A single dose at bed should have you feeling better come morning if it's just muscle soreness/tightness.  It works by relaxing your nervous system a bit, so your muscles can relax too.  And it works for migraines.  But, you need 8 hours rest from the time you take it before you attempt to drive or operate machinery or anything else like that.  Hence, bedtime.  

    If that does not have you feeling any better at all after one dose, or you can't take it at all, then I, too, suggest a doctor.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure hope that shoulder gets to feeling better soon.
    Looking forward to some updates on those Sugarbush girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's healing, it's just that I'm not giving it true time to get "all better".  I think I have a slight tear in the muscle rather then just a bit of ache.  Except for the night I slept on  it all wrong (and paid for it all the next day) I can say it's almost healed completely now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I web site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling excellent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
    RJS Racing 20216-1-3 Blue SFI Approved 360 Degree Neck Collar

    ReplyDelete