A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Motivation! (A new Year's Resolution)

Ah, coffee, it's the spice of life.  It's also my main motivation.  With out my coffee, I am a complete mess.  I don't function until after the second cup.  With out a single cup, no one wants to talk to me... not even Jae!

Yeah, I am not a morning person.  I'm one of those freaks that can stay up all night, never have a problem with it, and sleep all day happily.  Unfortunately, there's no daylight at night, and that makes riding and horse work, a little itty bitty bit harder.

And so, I am working on becoming a morning person.  It's a fight I may never win, but will always keep on trying to.

I have to admit, with all the work headed my way, I was having trouble keeping up.  Seems like every time I turned around, I was feeling guilty and horrible over not getting SOMEthing finished. Either it was paper work, or horse work.  There was always some one asking if I had finished yet, and I had to say "no".  Not because I was lazy, but just because there's only one of me.

And so, my New Year's resolution is to delegate, and change up a few things. I need to spend more time in the saddle, and less time doing paper work.  Others can do the paper work, but I can't get others to do my riding, nor would I want to!  My office hours will be changing a bit, so that I have "family time".  No more working at 10pm! 


But I have realized that while I want to do it all there is just no way I can.  I answer over 100 emails a day about the horses, or the SDHR.  I have 6 horses a day I should be riding... minimum.  I have 15 stalls to much, 33 head to feed and care for, and only one person working for me full time, and he just cares for the property and equipment!

This also means I will be having a horsey sale!

As always with my sales, prices are the most negotiable to the best home.  Prices on light horses (i.e. not draft horses) can be stupidly low.  I will not ever sell a horse knowingly into a bad home, but for this crew, it's going to be all about the placement, not the finances.  Yes, I make my living (and pay for the herd's care) through horse sales, and such (training, boarding, etc) but I want to do more work with other people's horses, and less with horses I own, and really have no need for.  It's not that I have too many horses, but rather that I have the wrong horses.

I mean, why do I need a 14.0 hand quarter horse again?  Oh sure, I love her to death, but I don't normally ride western, she's not really an English horse, and I rarely go out on trail rides (she's spook proof because she's an orphan, and sure footed, so a great trail horse - just not MY type).  As it is, horses like that, I am having to work, and there's this feeling of "why".  Why do **I** have this horse, why do I need to put extra hours into her, and WHAT am I thinking. 

And so, my New Year's resolution is rather convoluted, but makes sense to me.  Make things more efficient and more realistic.  I want time for ME, and time to enjoy my horses in the way I envision them.  If someone else happens to benefit from that, then it's a win all around.

So, with a cup of coffee in hand, and a big marker, I'm working my way through my horsey list.  I'll be adding new names to the sales list.  I'm also working up ways to stream line the paper work I need to do.  Some I will delegate, some I will refine. 

I have been heading in this direction for a while now, but never quite gotten there.  But, my resolution is to GET IT DONE this year.  My motivation is time doing what I want to do.  I enjoy my rides for "fun" even if they are nice progression in a horse's training, or good marketing, or what ever else that fun ride could be put off as.  I still enjoy it.

I also want to get the rest of the property improvements finished, but I think that has to wait for next year (for my jobs.  Jae on the other hand has his work cut out for him!).

And now, I have a couple of horses calling my name.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you are able to place the light horses that don't fit into excellent homes and quickly. If I can help you in some way, LMK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takes some doing , but I am sure with the motivation you have you will place them well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to your assessment. My mom and I don't always see eye to eye about what horse has the most potential or which ones she thinks I should be working with...but *I* am the one riding them and using them and I am only one person. There is only so much I can do.

    Good luck with streamlining the herd. No doubt you will get them placed in good homes and then you can focus on what you really enjoy. 

    ReplyDelete