A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Who cares what you think of my house... but please love my farm.

The Society for Creative Anachronism, or The SCA, is going to be hosting an event up here at Iron Ridge.  This group of people is a bit different then what we normally see in horses, but a ton of fun!  Even better for me, is that they are a group of people who interact with their horses in a realistic way, with realistic expectations, and a social atmosphere that makes everyone involved feel like they are succeeding.

Ok, and lets be honest, who doesn't want to joust, at least a little?

So, when I had the opportunity to help out the SCA by allowing them to use the facilities for a weekend, naturally, I agreed.  And now, it's getting down to the wire.  We have a lot to do before the 17th- and the weather has NOT been helpful.

Today we are going to make some plans on where to put people, ponies, trailers, and how to arrange their events based upon the lay out of my place.  Of course, I also get to meet more horse people, and I expect to have a good time.

And yeah, I'm a little nervous.  As I've mentioned before, we're not a super fancy facility, nor do I have any intentions of ever making this place into a show type barn.  No indoor arena (although I DO want one of those, but just don't have a few extra 100 grand laying around), my barn is a few decades old, and wasn't the best planned to start with, and we still have old fencing to deal with.  Naturally, since it's my place, those faults glare at me, and I worry that others will think "oh, what a trashy place".  Now, when I go around and look at other facilities, I see that most are similar to mine, but I WANT to have mine look like McQuay stables!

And so, every time I meet new people, a little part of me gets nervous.

Oddly, growing up I never could understand why my mother always got like this about her house.  She'd spend a day cleaning before guests arrive, and that included painting walls, scrubbing base boards, and other tasks that seemed silly to a pre-teen girl.  Now, I understand her feelings.

So, I spent yesterday leveling the ground, and fretting about the place being soaked from the recent record setting rains.  It's not perfectly clean by any stretch, but it is what it is.  This weekend isn't the nervous making one though.  It's a few weeks away that I'll start going bonkers!  When all the people arrive.

Yep, I care more about what people think of my barn and property then I do about what they think of my house.  (Well, any of the 3 houses here that is).  I guess that means that I'm a barn brat at heart!  Poor Jae will never have a nice little hostess to show off the home he has made for us, but thankfully, he's as bad as I am.  Besides the fact that he'd be happier if no one ever came out (he's not exactly a social butterfly) he also is most proud of his horses, his rolling hills, and his work in keeping a poorly designed but oozing with potential property running as smoothly as a horse ranch ever can.

Am I the only one that does this? 

3 comments:

  1. Do you read jenj's blog?  Her hubby jousts down in Austin!

    You're way brave to let people come over.  I just cringe when I look at all the stuff I have left to fix around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drive myself (and everyone else) nuts when this happens. I'm sure everyone will love your place. Any place I can go enjoy horses is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!! We in the SCA have a saying, "Eh, I live in an SCA house!" This means there's crap every where, we are usually bad house keepers, (not all, but enough to promote the stereotype,) there's a good 8 projects scattered about in various stages of completion, piles or shelves of books, more cooking equipment that normal and so on. The SCA is a hobby made up of a ton of other hobbies. We camp, we cook, we sew, we ride, we fight heavy, archery, rapier, thrown weapons, siege weapons, we dance, we make armor, we paint, we do calligraphy, and so on, and our places reflect that. We barely have time to mow, there's a scroll to paint before the weekend event!! I would bet you dollar to donuts that your place is way nicer than most of our houses, LOL!

    They will think that your place is WONDERFUL! You have given them something valuable; a place to hold an event, your approval and enjoyment, and, with horses! As long as there's flat ground to throw up a tent, a potty, a shower, (we made one out of a horse trailer by running 100' of hose in the hot sun to the trailer. Heaven!) a place to set up a list field*, a place to ride the horses*, and a place to hold court/feast/bardic/belly dancing and a fire*, it's all good!

    Sigh, I wish you lived in Trimaris! (That would be Florida, LOL)

    *These can all be the same place; everybody takes turns.

    ReplyDelete