A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, February 20, 2012

A little bit of Crazy

So, last week I was supposed to finish my blog series on Conformation.  Yeah, I was also supposed to finish a fence, work a few horses, and host an SCA event last weekend.

So, it was all going according to plan until about Monday of last week.  At that point, a little snow, and a little more rain put us behind schedule.  So, we put on the big push to get all ready.  Jae's out working long days, but things are going well.  The blog is secondary to the "real" work (i.e. real live ponies in my pasture) and so focus on that. 

And then, Thursday, the forecast starts looking bad.  There's some debate and discussion through the day:  will they be right, will it really rain, and if it rains how bad will it be?  And then Thursday evening the forecast changes to 80% rain.  The SCA event was cancelled.  Boo!

And Friday morning, Jae wakes up sick.  Poor guy, he ached all over, but thought it was fencing.  All week long he had been saying he was out of shape.  Lo and Behold, it wasn't that, but the flu trying to get him (or a cold, who knows).  So Friday he spikes a fever, and is pretty much laid up in bed all day.  Saturday he's better, but I'm achy. 

Yep, and Sunday, I got it.  So here I am today, kinda ok, but just exhausted.  Jae is a complete wuss too, and still just wiped out.  On the upside, this means that I'll be writing all day today I believe, so expect to see the rest of those conformation clinics this week!

1 comment:

  1. Well, if it's what I have, I totally get it. I was in bed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I'm trying work today, but if I don't feel better, I'll be back in bed as soon as I can get out of there. Hope you guys feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete