A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Foal Wait is BORING!

So, I've wanted to blog, I've had the urge to sit down and write.  The only problem is, there is nothing in my life that is interesting right now.  Evidently Jinx missed the memo saying that all foals would be born by now.  She's now 11 days over her personal due date (so 354 days of gestation for those following along at home).

And me?  Yeah, I stay up all night with her.  You see, my barn has metal siding on half of it (we're slowly replacing it, it's not the GOOD metal type siding).  My barn has very big metal pipes through all of it.  My barn is a wireless nightmare.  This means that I can't use a wireless mare cam to check on her.  The signal is fuzzy at best.  Also "my" house is a cute adorable 100 year old farm house that we are renovating.  Unfortunately, renovation costs money, and I'm in the horse business.  Yeah, it's been put on hold until horses start selling again.  But what all that means, is that I am awake until dawn, because I have to actually go and check on her.  (I sneak into the renno house and look through the windows usually, to prevent disturbing her).

So here's how my days go lately.  Wake up at noon, have coffee, then proceed to have MORE coffee.  Realize how late in the day it is, and rush outside to frantically try to get some horsey stuff done.  Run out of daylight - be shocked by that - then clean stalls.  When finished, it's really dark, so put horses up for the night and feed.  Head inside, start paper work.  Fiddle with websites, break something technical, and fiddle some more.  Check facebook through the evening while I do this, and sometimes get sucked into conversations with friends (oops!).  Around midnight realize that I need laundry done, and that I should eat, so cook and clean a bit (usually Jae cooks, I clean).  Have some withdrawal from riding, and make plans for what to do when I wake up.  Near 2am, start playing games (currently my game of choice is Star Wars: The Old Republic). Wait for dawn, head out, feed horses, and turn over watch duties to my father.

Through this time, I'm checking on Jinx every 2 hours (looking at her usually, just to make sure she's not looking in labor).

See... BORING!

The upside is that I'm catching up with paper work stuff.  The downside is that I'm getting behind on saddle time and haven't even started getting good pictures and videos of the sales horses.

I'm so ready to meet this baby!  I'm SO ready to be riding and training again.  My butt is getting some serious spread on it from all the coffee and sitting on it.  Can't be much longer though, right?  10 days at most?  Please?  Pretty please?  With Sugar on top?

Can I have a nap now?

1 comment:

  1. Been watching your baby posts! :o)
    Its a colt!!! LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete