A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

She has a name, and some teaser pics

I would like to introduce you to Oubliette d'Acier.  She is a full Sugarbush Draft Horse, out of a foundation dam, by the last stallion from Everett Smith's program (Jinx x Sugarbush Harley's Classic O).  She is a "solid" or shows no characteristics or LP traits of any kind, and will be black with white face and leg markings.   She will be a BIG girl, being 83% draft (multiple generations of selective breeding went into this girl) and with both parents standing 16.1 hands, we have a good idea how tall she will be.

I spent the day yesterday searching for a name for her.  I had some cute ideas suggested (Black Gold was one I loved, but was struggling for a barn name for it) when Jae reminded me that I wanted to use Oubliette.  Problem is, I made the "rule" that all foals would have metal based names this year.  The name has to have some reference to metal, as a tie in the Iron Ridge, our farm name.  I tossed up a question on Facebook, to see if any one had any ideas, and Flora Floen came back with Oubliette d'Acier - dungeon/prison of steel.

I thought it was cute.  Jae and I joked about what we'd call her for short (Oublie) and then I moved on to other suggestions.  I had been trying out names on her, and nothing was sticking.  Shortly after, we headed to the barn. 

I turned around, and there's Jae, climbing into the stall with her, and giggling like a school boy from her kisses.  She headed right up to him, and thought he was the best toy EVER.  I think Jae even blushed when I asked him if he was enamored of her.

All day long he had been sneaking in to see the little girl.  A pet here, a sniff there, and even a few comments.  Now, Jae loves the horses, but he tends to love ALL the horses, and not show favorites, so this was a bit out of character for him.  Sure, he'd played with the other babies earlier, but he didn't beam from ear to ear with them like he did Jinx's filly.

So later on, as I'm sitting at my computer looking at name suggestions, I asked him what he thought of a few.  About the 3rd name, he looks at me and says, "She already HAS a name!  She's Oublie!".

My jaw dropped a bit.

You see, Jae named his mare, Dee (Deadly Shadows, after one of his favourite games) but he hemmed and hawed about it a bit.  He named Max, an orphan foal we had, but only because I told him it was HIS turn (and I was stumped).  Max just popped in his head he said.  Besides those, he's never even made a comment about most of the names.  I'll ask his opinion, and he says "I dunno, what do YOU think?".  Grr.

So for Jae to be adamant about a name, well, that's cool!

Needless to say, I thought the name was cute too, and have no complaints about it, but Jae named her.  And seriously, you can't even SAY "Oublie" with out smiling a little.

As for what the name means, well, an Oubliette is a deep hole, used as a prison or dungeon, commonly found in medieval castles.  the d'Acier part is french for "of steel".  So since she's black like a deep hole, and needed a metal reference, the name is perfect.

Did I mention that it's French?  Jae's father is a French Canadian.  Hmm...

And today was her first day out.  Oublie is very advanced for her age, and seems to be almost as far along as her 2 week old siblings.  Her mother is a bit protective of her still, but has been great with people.  Oublie thinks ALL people are her personal toys, and is already addicted to the butt scritches.

I'm smitten.  I'm tickled.  I'm also a bit in shock that I got EXACTLY what I wanted from ALL THREE babies!  Can you say over the moon?

And yep, I'm headed back out to shoot some pictures of them all.  Expect pony spam soon.

4 comments:

  1. Great name, great filly!  Maybe she's advanced because she took all those extra days to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great name. And she is a cutie-patootie. Congrats on having such an awesome foaling year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool name! very unique and memorable 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright I've been following this blog for 6 months or more but never posted. I love, love, love this little baby. I may have to break my vow to not buy another horse. I have been looking at property on line all day because I can't afford another board payment. I may have to give up classic cars, motorcycles, summer homes to afford and take care of another horse. So cute I can't stand it. Big fantasy that may come true to buy one of your Drafts with Dots. Stop tempting me or my husband of 34 years may have to trade me in for a younger model since he only got into horses because he never saw me any more. Everyday weboth move more and more to a diffrent way of living giving up things we thought were important to spend more time with as we call them our " Big Dogs".

    ReplyDelete