A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Waiting on the last one, and wanting to get back to "work".

Jinx's due date is here.  I completely expected to have a foal last night, but, as of 2pm, still nothing.

Now, the problem is that Jinx is very quiet about her labor.  She doesn't do all of the normal things that most horses do.  No pawing, very little pacing, and no "up and down".  She does to the tail to the wall thing, but she does that all the time, even when not pregnant (her tail is wavy and often tries to get knots under the tail).

So, my only option is to keep an eye on her, and hope that I don't miss the foal by too much.  Did I mention that I've also never seen her foal out?  Yeah... she has the amazing 6th sense for when I walk away.  For her first foal, I checked her milk - nothing - and so thought it wouldn't be that night.  I checked her like normal, and imagine my shock when I found Diva standing there.  From the looks of things, she was born just after I had checked on Jinx. 

The second foal, Soliloquy, I was watching her from the house, and thought she might look ready.  I watched, and watched, and watched... and then got up for a coffee.  When I got back, Jinx was standing in a part of the stall where I could only see her shoulders.  She stood like that for about 30 minutes, and then laid down and pushed.  Naturally, I got excited, stood up, and just as I was about to head out and help, Jinx stood up and walked to where I could see all of her.  Nothing. 

After waiting for a while, and thinking that Jinx's shape was different, I went out to refill water, and hand out more hay.  Imagine my shock when there, laying under the water bucket, was a lovely filly.  The only explanation is that Jinx foaled while I grabbed coffee, and dropped her placenta when I saw her lay down for a second (the placenta was in the right location).

And so, I'm pretty resigned that I won't see this baby born either, but I hope to do my best to be sure there are no complications.  Jinx's foal will be one of the few Sugarbush Draft foals born this year, and is also her first and only full draft foal to date.  I'm sure she'll be fine, but I still want to keep an eye on her.  Just not worth it to take the risk of losing the mare and foal because I like sleeping.

I am ready to be spending more time riding though.  For the past few months I have been stuck at my desk, doing "paper work" for the registry.  While this is great, and a sign that the registry is growing, it isn't helping my weight, my riding skills, nor my horses!

I have some lovely babies coming up and getting ready to go.  I have some amazing horses that I need to get videos of, and prepare to sell.  And of course, I just miss riding all the time.

Unfortunately, I'm also dealing with a bit of "no riding inertia".  You know how when you take a break from your normal riding schedule it kinda sucks the will out of you to get up and DO something?  The longer it's been since you last rode, the harder it is to get back in the saddle.  Well, that's my problem.  Between the stuff I need to do off a horse, the rain (YAY!) making it miserable outside for horse, rider, and the leather, as well as the fencing projects which are kinda making me cramped for an open green paddock to ride in that isn't slippery mud. 

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining about the rain.  Not at all.  Nope, there's a ton of green grass in the fields, and the horses all look great.  We have rain scheduled all this week too, but it's not likely to rain ALL the time this week, so I have plans to snag a ride here and there when I can.  Now I just need a little "push" to get up early enough to DO it.

On the upside, the work with the SDHR is evening out again.  I've been a good girl, and learned to delegate a bit, and am trying to make methods so that I am not nearly as "necessary" to the breed.  While I love working with the SDHR, I also want to make a system so that if I need a break, or (god forbid) something happens to me, the registry doesn't grind to a halt.  The more of that I do, the more time I have to do all the other things I need to do.

Including writing a few blogs!  I've missed writing, and can't tell you how nice it is to sit down, and put some words to ... um... screen.

1 comment:

  1. I have a bit of that  "no riding inertia" thing too.  I want to - it just seems like so much work to get to that point. 

    Enjoy your rain hope the hay stock recovers well too. 

    ReplyDelete