A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July to everyone! 

While most people will be sitting outside enjoying the summer days, sharing BBQ with friends and family, I have other plans.

As many of you know, horses don't always like fireworks.  Last night started the big booms, and so far the horses are doing great with it all, but being the paranoid type that I am, I just can't leave them to it.

I have visions of nightblind horses running wild into trees.  Of babies trampled in the panic.  Of gaping flesh wounds requiring immediate vet attention.

But... it's a holiday, right?  We should have fun!

And so, I plan to.  I have some clients invited over for "hang out at the barn while I try not to be too worried" time.  A few adult beverages, some giggles, and a nice humid evening all means good time with friends.

My horsey friends understand my worries.  Granted, half of them get the benefits of it too (since many have horses here) so it all works out, and my strange foibles are forgiven.  (I really am a bit paranoid about strange things, even if I do it in a calm and mild mannered type of freaking out).

So forgive me if I'm an "old stick in the mud" and spend more time thinking about ways to put out grass fires, and who will need to be stalled overnight, and how well stocked my medical cabinet is!  This is probably one of my least favorite holidays because of it.  Oh sure, I understand the reasons, I just wish we celebrated a bit less "Boomy"!

So enjoy your holiday time, have a great day off (if you're one of the lucky ones) and remember to be safe with the fireworks.  My bonkered hand seems to be working (a nice post for another day for those who haven't heard about my latest opps) and I have some wonderful blogs planned for the very near future.


1 comment:

  1. This paragraph will help the internet viewers for creating new web site or even a weblog from start to end.


    Here is my blog :: diets that work

    ReplyDelete