A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I know I've been away, but I haven't forgotten

It's been ages since I've managed to find the time to blog.  I haven't lost interest in it, but I have lost the free time to do it.  Many people have had a hard time understanding the crazy hours I put into the last of the SDHR push for the Foundation Program.  Let me explain it a bit.

I evaluated countless horses over the last few years.  Each evaluation takes about 4 hours to complete and write up.  At the peak, we were receiving 10 horses a day (or so) to review.  I began to get further and further behind schedule.  While this was going on, I was also trying to manage my own farm, and getting behind on that as well.  A typical day here was roughly 18 hours of work, with an hour of relaxation, and then a few hours of sleep before I started it all again.  The further I got behind, the more I worked to catch up, and the less time I spent with my own family and pets.

I've been doing this - not quite as intensely, but still - for 5 years now with out a break from it.  I've been on call all day, all night, every day.  The idea of going to a movie meant advanced planning, lets not even talk about getting out of town for a day or 2!  And so, as of January 28th, I took a month of vacation... from the SDHR.

Sad to say, that doesn't mean I'm truly on vacation!  I still have Iron Ridge to run, horses to train, stalls to clean, and those sorts of things.  I am not complaining though!  I'm now working a more reasonable 8 hours a day, and doing the things that I wanted to do when I got into this line of work (horses).

The upside is, that I again have time to write.  I have a few topics that I plan to put out there, and hopefully some of you will enjoy and learn from them.  Since foaling season is coming up, you can best that a good part of my topics will be based on the horse business again.

So sit back, and prepare for a new and consistent stream of blathering from me.  From discussing the daily activities of the farm, to the business side (tomorrow's post is how to price a foal) I have lots lined up, and am ready to start getting on my soap box again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very interesting blog!

    Look at my web-site - cash advance in georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo ...I am so glad you are returning as I just found your blog and find it to be a pleasure ... beautiful your spotty drafts too!

    ReplyDelete